Biscuits with Chicken and Gravy
Makes 4 servings
3 chicken legs, bone in
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
2½ cups almond flour
¼ cup butter, softened
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the chicken legs, salt, and pepper in a small pan. Cover the legs with water, bring to a boil and place in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes, until the meat can be pulled off the bone easily.
- Remove the bones from the chicken legs and place the meat back in the pot with the cooking liquid. Over medium heat, bring the pot to a boil. Continue to boil, cooking the liquid down until it has reduced to about ¾ cup.
- Make the biscuits while the chicken is cooking. Combine the almond flour, butter, baking soda, eggs, and honey until they form a dough. Roll the dough into a ball or flat disk and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Place the dough between two parchment sheets and roll it out until it's about 1 inch thick. Cut into biscuit shapes; you can make the biscuits any size or shape you want, but be sure you end up with at least 4 to make the full recipe. If possible, chill the cut biscuits in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes before baking; they will hold their shape and texture better.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve the biscuits with the braised chicken and the reduced pan juices, or "gravy."
Travis H. Bettinson, Personal Chef, Seattle, Washington www.junipfoods.com